Friday, February 28, 2014

Wow! He returns!

Hey gang!

It has been a while since I posted again.  Sadly my recurring health issues have been keeping me from getting as much done as I would like.

That being said I have a question for you.  How important do you think it is to keep to the 'original material'?

The reason I ask is because I have been tinkering with a sci-fi/post apoc style game for the Monsters and Magic game.  This is where the sticky parts begin.  I am interested in using its core mechanics, the so-called "Effect-Engine".  I truly enjoy its dice-mechanic and combination of FATE-like features that create a fun little experience.

The problem for me at least, is that the extreme changes I have been creating to the basic M&M game are forcing it in a direction that belies it's original OSR compatibility.  Do I consider that a problem?  Nope, not whatsoever.  I want to take something I think could be used for just about anything and put it someplace new, thereby breaking its normal 'form'

Here is a link to the games basic webpage...

http://mindjammerpress.com/monstersandmagic/

This begs me to fire off a related query...  When is changing something too much?  If you know of my past blog posts about M&M you will understand that I really dig the Effect-Engine but, as shocking as it may seem, I am not that huge of a fan of its old-school ties.  Odd isn't it??

That is why I would really like to see my campaign set far in the future away from everything 'fantasy' work.  I fully believe the Effect-Engine can do it, but I am afraid I will drive away 'purists' by creating something that is no longer 'true' to its origins and no longer backward-compatible.  

Am I crazy??


No comments:

Post a Comment