Monday, January 13, 2014

New Year, New Ideas

Hey everyone!


First off I hope that all of you are having a great New Year thus far and had an enjoyable holiday season no matter what your personal beliefs are.  I have been doing well despite a rather serious bout of problems with my neck and spine.  It is this not so enjoyable problem that has been keeping me from my normal amount of productivity.


I have decided to be more proactive this year with my work.  I have been accepted as an artist for an upcoming Monsters and Magic product and have submitted my writing to a company whose work I enjoy.  These steps are huge for me and are helping me to move along in my other personal projects.


Writing wise I have slowly been working on my homebrew system and two different settings for it.  Although it has been going slow I have been making progress and that is always a good thing.  I am extremely fortunate to have a number of people who have been supporting me and helping me through my creative and personal issues.


Today I want to present one of the races for my Hellborn project.  Hellborn is a modern day setting where mankind is besieged by monstrous creatures from an adjacent dimension...  I understand that I have yet to fully detail my mechanics but the following will give you an idea of the direction I am going.




Cambion
“There is nothing quite as grand as knowing ones true self.”


Physically cambions have two guises.  Their true form is drastically different than the façade they present when around others.  A cambions skin tone varies greatly from pearly white to deep glossy black.  Shades of red and blue abound and their hair is always a contrasting color from that of their flesh.  All manner of runic scars and tattoos adorn their hides and their eyes constantly glow with an inner light.


Cambions are able to shift their form into that of a seeming normal human.  They are pleasant to look at and radiate charm and an air of success.  The cambion is able to maintain their façade for as long they desire although they are known to lose control.  Strong emotional and physical stressors such as pain, passion, love, and hate can force the cambion to involuntarily change to their true form. 


Cambion
Body                 3d6
Reflex              3d6
Intellect          3d6
Intuition          3d6
Presence           3d6


Species Traits
Charming: The character gains a 2-point bonus to all Persuasion, Con, and Sense Motive Checks.
Hellborn Heritage: The character is able to allocate an additional 4d6 to their Primary Attributes.  The Player distributes these three dice among the attributes as they see fit but only a maximum of 2d6 may be applied to any one attribute.


Cambion Traits
The character begins play with three choices off the following list.  Some choices are more potent than others and as such cost more than one ‘pick’.
  • Claws and Fangs: These weapons deal 1d6 damage when used in combat
  • Dark Sight: The character is able to totally ignore all penalties for dim or no light
  • Energy Attack: The character is able to release a blast of corrupt power.  This attack has a range increment of 10 and deals 1d6 +2 damage.
  • Full Wings (2-choices): The character is able to manifest fully functional wings that allow them to fly.
  • Horrific Scream (2-choices): The character is able to unleash a blast of sound that stuns enemies.  The scream affects a 20’ area. Everyone other than the character must make a Body Check TN 14 or flee for one full Round.  The TN to resist the scream increases by 1-point for each additional character level.
  • Horns: These weapons can be used to gore an opponent once per round dealing 1d8 damage
  • Indomitable: 1-point of Mental Protection
  • Inverted Knee: The character gains a 2-point bonus to all Athletics Checks involving leaping, climbing, and tumbling.  They also gain a 2-point bonus to all Running Checks
  • Prehensile Tail: The character has a long flexible tail that can hold items and manipulate things.  The tail can also lash out dealing 1d4 damage.
  • Scaly Hide (2-choices): 1-point of Natural Protection
  • Vestigial Wings: Add to the characters jumping distances and allow them to glide 2’ per 1’ dropped


Transformation: The character is able to hide their hellborn traits from others although during times of emotional or physical stress they may lose control and change involuntarily.  Changing forms in combat is a 6-IC Action.  The character may only hold onto their façade for a number of hours equal to their Body modifier plus 1 before having to rest for the same amount of time.




I will be posting more this week about my progress on a number of projects including a review of a game I recently discovered that I enjoy.  I look forward to keeping this going and to any response that you all may have...


Thanks as always and Keep on Gaming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment