Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Hunt for a System 2

Today hasn't been a stellar day for me creatively.  I would like to say that I got a lot of writing done and a some artwork to go with it, but well, I can't.  I did manage to get a bit of work done, but not enough to pat myself on the back about.  Mainly I spent today searching for a system for my supers project.  I have a few ideas in mind at the moment.

G-Core: My go-to simple supers system.  It is easy to create characters, powers, and so on for this game.  The only downside I have for this is that I do like more crunch sometimes.  Now, I know I could come up with a way to add more detail and so on to it, but would doing so change the game to dramatically from what it is?  I know that when I was doing a Fantasy hack for it I didn't like where it was going at all so that project died young...  Basically I changed so much from its base that it no longer resembled anything G-Core other than the basic dice mechanic.

Invulnerable: I just came into this game and think it is very good.  It is, without a doubt, more crunchy than G-Core and has a ton of options available in just the Core Book and more if you purchase the expansion.  My hesitation there is the learning curve involved.  This isn't so much for me but rather for my friend that I do all my playtesting/gaming with.  He is still a relative novice when it comes to gaming and can get confused especially with rules intensive systems.  That being said this game has some great aspects to it, and I really like its detailed character generation but wonder if the system itself would run as smooth...

Homebrew: I have a system that I have been working on for quite the while.  It was originally my attempt at creating a meta-system that would allow for any genre.  I know now that the ideas I have for it aren't exactly convertible from on to another.  This one I have gotten some chance to run with my friend and it has been a lot of fun so far although there are still issues coming up.  Of course that is to be expected with any system, even from the BIG companies.

Conversion: The final idea, and thus far the most unlikely, is to simply take an existing system and convert it to what I need.  I don't know which one for sure, although the new OSR-ish game Monsters and Magic is a leader.  I don't really know about this one though... this could turn out like my G-Core hack and get so far out of hand that it no longer resembles the original.  That would suck.

So all in all you can see why I didn't get much done today.  It is a question that has plagued me since my earliest days writing RPG's and will undoubtedly continue to do so for some time to come.  I know I could take an easier road out and go with something well established like Mutants and Masterminds, Icons, or even something like Bulletproof Blues, but none of them really fit me and so they don't fit my writing style...

Quite the conundrum really

Oh, and if any of you have some thoughts please, feel free to let me know :)


No comments:

Post a Comment