Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Super Tuesday 4

Comic-books are full of greater-than-human characters that defy logic.  The same can also be said of characters in the Fantasy genre.  I suppose the only real difference between the two is the type of clothing the character is wearing.  One is decked out in spandex and capes while the other wears chainmail and swings a sword.

Does this mean the two ideas are totally opposite of one another?  Nah, not really.  I have actually toyed with the idea of combining the supers-type characters with other genres before.  Take for instance the Hellbound setting idea that I presented earlier in my blog history.  The premise of that was to combine low-powered super-humans with all sort of supernatural horror.  Kind of like Supernatural on crack.

There are those systems out there that claim to be totally universal but always have issues when working on supers of any time.  A good example of this is the Palladium System.  It is touted as a universal system, but boy does it take a lot of work to make the settings mesh together.  While it may be a bit of a bother I enjoy it because I am honestly a big Palladium geek :)

The best way to combine the genres, supers-and-fantasy is to keep things simple.  I was working on a G-Core hack for a fantasy type game but honestly it was getting way too mechanic intensive and lost the loose, fast feel of G-Core.  I think that over-doing the rules for any genre is a prevalent problem across all games.  The interesting thing is that most of the Supers games I enjoy (G-Core, Bulletproof Blues, and Invulnerable in particular) would easily handle a fantasy type game.  The powers could easily be converted into spells and there ya go.  Fantasy heroes...

I think the idea of being able to cross-pollenate genres is the best way of doing things.  Games such as Palladium, Savage Worlds, and the slew of other universal games have the possibility to make something great.  Sadly I have yet to find one that truly meets my needs for a combination of detail but simple rules. 

Then again isn't that part of the point?  I mean gaming in general is a combination of what is out there and what one can create.  Fun stuff I think.

Thanks as always, and keep on Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment