Friday, August 30, 2013

Fantasy Thursday (well Friday)

Hey Gang,

Well as usual real life has been interfering with my writing.  I won't bore you all with the details other than to say my writing laptop is out of commission for the time being.  No big deal though, I was able to get everything transferred to this computer.

This post is going to be a bit of a ramble about fantasy gaming in general.  One of the topics that came up on one of my many G+ gaming groups was the topic of D&D and its notoriety versus other games.  The reason that everyone knows about D&D is twofold really, it has been around longer than anything, and it's parent company has the money to crank out the goods.  Paizo is the same way.

Is this a bad thing?  Of course not.  To me anything that keeps the hobby going is a good thing.  I just wish that some of the other, smaller games, could get more of the spotlight from 'mainstream' gamers (that's a bit of an oxymoron I know).  Ah well, that is just my opinion really.

Strangely enough my first gaming experience was not a fantasy one, but a supers one.  Shortly after that I was introduced to D&D and enjoyed it immensely.  I am clearly a massive fan of supers, but it is so much easier for others to visualize and grasp something in the fantasy vein than anything else.  Look at the plethora of books, movies, and television shows that expand the fantasy genre daily.  Sure, comic-book related media is growing in popularity but can it ever dethrone fantasy as the number one type of RPG?  Nah, not a chance.

I have played more fantasy games than anything else, and as you know I am currently working here-and-there on two different fantasy settings.  One is a more 'typical' setting with dragons, knights, and darring-do, while the other is more...well off the wall.  Both are fun but I don't know if either are really all that ground breaking.  Again, is that a bad thing?  Nope.

I think the most important thing, regardless of who is doing it, is the act of being creative.  It is the imagination that drives the hobby and the thinking process will always be more important to me than something like say a video game.  I may be crazy but that's just me.

Keep on Gaming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment